NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?

NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?
NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?

Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for Contessa

Contessa is a character I’ve been working on for fun. If you want to know more about her, you can scroll down to the March archive and find her in Ben and Jerry’s Fudge Brownie. Who knows, maybe she and her boyfriend will show up again during this A-Z Challenge.

Two years ago, my boyfriend, Arthur Goldman, went missing. People believed he’d been kidnapped and murdered by some maniac. The police found a leaf trail, in a wooded area, splattered with blood, and his favorite t-shirt, Computer Geeks Rule. Everyone in my town accepted he wouldn’t be coming back but it took me a while.

The summer after his death, I readied myself for college and moved to another state. Little by little, I accepted the loss. About half way into the third semester, I let my hair down so to speak, went on a few new dates, and hung out with my girlfriends.

Six months ago, my girlfriends and I went out. We visited a local night club. The Bloody Mary. We danced. We got tipsy. Did some bump and grind. You know, the usual stuff twenty year olds do.

The next thing I’m about to tell you is corny but true. A tall, dark haired waiter came to our table. His eyes glowed. Yellow and cat-like. His skin looked flawless, not one zit, but pasty-white. “I brought you ladies, some cocktails on the house,” he said, setting glasses on the table. The words rolled off his tongue.

I thought my friends would get on their hands and knees to follow after him. Something about him made you want to drool and loose all lady-like functions. The guy was drop-dead-hot.

The three of us raised our glasses and cheered in unison, “To new beginnings and hot guys!” At the same time we downed our free cocktails.

We looked at each other like something went wrong. I know the room spun for me, and I saw doubles of everything. My friend next to me collapsed on the table before the room around me blacked out.

I woke up in a dank, cold place with a throbbing headache. It reeked of moist topsoil. Achoo…achoo. The stuff makes me sneeze. Allergies suck.

A warm hand grabbed my arm out of the shadows. “Contessa.” my friend said. “That you?” Her voice shook.

“Yeah,” I said.

“Where are we?” she asked.

“Don’t know, but it feels and smells like a place where there’s lots of dirt. Where’s our other sister?”

“Haven’t heard a peep from her. It’s too dark to see anything. I had to feel my way toward you.” A little whimper escaped her.

“Maybe she’s dead,” I said. It made sense to me. Some socio-path spiked our drinks and towed us off to some dark secluded place. With my luck we’re in the bottom of a grave awaiting death.

My friend’s nails dug into me. “Don’t say that.” She pulled me close to her and bawled.

A low growl came from behind.

“Shhh,” I said. “Did you hear that?” I looked around the dim area and blinked my eyes.

“Hear what?” She sniffled.

A chain of snarls surrounded us. Dirt flew into my eyes. My friend screamed, wiggling and kicking her feet. Something dragged her away from me.

I held my breath, closed my gritty eyes, and froze. My friend’s squeals stopped. Snapping and slurping sounds surrounded me. A metallic smell wafted through my nostrils. Blood.

Oh. God. Please forgive me all my sins, I prayed. I had a horrible fear of going to hell when I died.

Someone or something plopped beside me. A cold hand touched my cheek.

I opened my eyes, one at a time. Red glowing eyes stared back at mine.

The creatures touch went from touching to caressing my face. “Tessie?” Only one person ever called me that. Arthur.

To be continued…..

12 comments:

  1. Was Arthur back dead or alive? Possessed? What? Tell me more...Raising Marshmallows

    ReplyDelete
  2. Original and interesting post, Shelly! Thanks! :)
    I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lesley:

    Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cool. I love your fiction blogs. Thanks for the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. You wrote about a specific character today and I wrote about character development! I love this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I need more! That was great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, you simply cannot leave us hanging like that :-)
    Nice cliffhanger and strong sense of voice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Susan: Thank you. I won't leave you hanging. there's more. Thnak you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ms. Langley: Thank you for your kind comment and your post.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.