NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?

NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?
NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Behind the Chair: Tipping Your Hairdresser

Charlotte_Plant_Hairdresser_of_the_Year1

 

Tipping. Hmmf. This subject is not an easy one for me since I’m a hairdresser by trade but its important. A lot of hairdressers today work for corporate companies(Fantastic Sams, Smart Style, Super Cuts…) meaning they are paid minimum wage. The ones that don’t work for these companies struggle as well. Especially since these hairdressers rent their space and buy their own products to use on their clients, it can be difficult. These guys and gals rely on their tips to feed their families and pay their bills. Your tip is important since its how they make their money.

The guys and gals that do your hair, also pay for the up keep of their own equipment, their education, and their licensing. It costs them to keep everything maintained in order to provide you with a great hair style and its impossible to do this without your tips.

I know, the economy is in the tank but would you like to keep the stylist you have, forever? For years, I’ve watched hairdressers hop from shop to shop because they couldn’t make the money they needed. The corporate owned shops see you as their client not the hairdressers. So when they leave no one will tell you where they went, they’re not allowed.

I remember eating peanut butter and milk at one time because of minimum wage, and no one bothered to tip. It’s not a good thing to have someone suffering from low blood sugar working on your hair (scissors are dangerous all by themselves).

So please tip your hairdresser that’s how they make their money. A lot of them still have beauty school loans to pay off. It’s not a cheap venture even though our status in life has been cheapened.

Yes, we understand it’s a gesture of kindness but it’s also how we make our money.

How much should I tip?

That depends on the type of service.

Haircuts only $2.00 to $5.00

Shampoo and cut $5.00

Shampoo, cut, and style $5.00 or more

Perm or Color $10.00 or more

Once again, the writer of this blog understands that tipping is out of kindness. But, please take into consideration that your hairdresser depends on your tip to thrive.

12 comments:

  1. Good tips on tips! But is it true that it's bad form to tip the owner of a salon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, I'm growing out my hair and eating peanut butter, (when the pie I crave is unavailable). Great post. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally went with 20% tips with hair cuts...

    of course, that was before I had my head shaved, and since I like it this way... no more barbers or hairdressers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always tip our hairdresser and send her a bonus for Christmas. Some people don't understand the system and think it is still two bits. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn:

    The owner and even the manager of the salon should be tipped. The cost to run a salon and provide supplies has become astronomical. And for the most part, alot of the prices havent't changed all that much from twenty years ago.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eve:

    How long are youletting your hair grow? And, do eat natural creamy or crunchy peanut butter? I eat the creamy natural stuff.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. William:

    It's a good thing that you don't try fading it. Balding oneself is economical. Besides, we writers are starving artists.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regina:

    We love people like you. Anyway, hope others will find this post and educate themselves.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am generally a good tipper - especially to a hair dresser I love. That is a relationship worth soooo much. I also tip the person who washes my hair and the person who does the make-up touch ups.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shelly,
    I'm glad I came back to visit to see you read my comment. Natural creamy all the way. My hair is very sensitive and I probably should cut it but for now I want it to go to the middle of my back. Almost there. Also, Apple pie is all right, but Blueberry rules.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Janet:

    Your pics show your off your hair well...beautiful.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Eve:

    I'm growing out my hair, too, from an inverted stack and swing bob.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.